April 5, 2011

Public Reading

I often get this to the point where it is not even funny anymore. When I go to read I am a cheap bastard, I go to the library, I go to a book store, hell I read a novella in a used book swap. I read in public and find that there is nothing wrong with it unless the owner of the place is a jerk and makes a rule to not allow you to read a book prior to purchasing.

Think about it, why the hell WOULDN'T you read a book prior to adding it to your collection?

If you wanted to buy a video game you want to make sure that the game is good, there is a demo where it gives you a sample of the game play and if you like it, in theory you would buy it. Unless you are shareware but that is another story in of itself. Everyone has the buyer beware gene in some form or another and wants to make sure they get a good product.

So I was at my local (surviving) Borders I checked out Zombie v Unicorn and the final result was I did not like it. I read several stories in a chair and kept to myself. However I got SEVERAL glances from various people looking at me read in public. I was even questioned about the book I was reading and WHY I was reading it and not just outright buying it.

It could be me but being a reader doesn't constitute me supporting everything blindly, I look for reviews, demos, other opinions, and any information to make an informed decision on buying things like a car, a computer, a cell phone, but why are books excluded with that?

Should I as a fan of reading blindly support an author without knowing his or her work to support the industry? If that was the case why the hell am I buying it outside of a meet and greet with the author self publishing the book themselves. Every industry from movies to music and books have the end game of the consumer wants more then they are willing to have and decisions need to determine what goes on top and what does not.

All in all, I am not afraid to say I do not buy every book I read and there should be nothing wrong with that, the fact that I am trying to get people together to encourage reading on a blogspot blog with other people should be adequate enough. I buy kick ass books only, why waste money on things you do not like and regret the purchase, buy only the good stuff and vote the your dollars on who should get more support.

2 comments:

Marian Librarian said...

It's strange to me that anyone even talked to you about this. How do they know you didn't purchase it?

I frankly never by books anymore either, but I get them at the library *shameless plug*

The only thing I will say in defense of the people who bothered you is that I'm pretty hard on books I read (even just cracking it open in the bookstore can damage a paperback's spine) so that's why I opt to use the library over the Borders.

Jellyswirl said...

I remember when the big book shops came in like Barnes and Nobles and such and people started to do that. At first I disliked it as well since my thinking was ”Why read it here since you can get it free at the library if you’re going to do that.” But I was never rude about asking strangers that.

After thinking about it I totally understand why people do it. I know I come from a very small town with an even smaller library so they don’t have a very big selection at all. I know the library can get books from other libraries but that takes a while or any may not have the book I am looking for. Plus with the economy now I cannot pay for a book $15+ that I am not sure I will even like or not. Also I am looking at art books so they could be easily $30+ so I want to make sure they are definitely good. So for anything I cannot get from the library first I am always sitting down and reading the book before I decide to buy it or not.

I know I see many kids and teens reading manga to see if they like it or not before buying it and I don’t blame them. I just hate it when they sit in the middle of the row reading it and not go to a chair or something XD.